1931 legislation authorized the establishment of junior colleges throughout the state of North Dakota. Cities with a population greater than 10,000 residents were allowed the opportunity first, but eventually the law was expanded (1941) to include cities with 5,000 or more residents.
The State Board of Higher Education approved an off-campus center in Williston in 1961. Until this point, UND had been offering extension classes (since 1957) and Williston State College (WSC) was established as the University of North Dakota - Williston in a contractual agreement between the University of Grand Forks and Williston School District #1. UND - Williston became the sole responsibility of the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education on July 1, 1984.
1999 brought a change in legislation, expanding the college's mission to include workforce training to employers. Now an autonomous Community College, the school assumed the official title of Williston State College.
Stevens Hall has been the main building on campus since 1967. Classrooms, administrative and faculty offices, Andrea's (bookstore) learning commons (library), multi-purpose gymnasium and the Teton Grill are located in this building. The student center addition, completed in 1975, included an auditorium, game room, student lounge, classrooms, and offices.
The Thomas Witt Leach Complex, added in 2003, houses faculty offices, classrooms and laboratories for the nursing and massage therapy programs, as well as health, physical education, and recreation classes and activities. A walking track and weight room. This complex provides the college and surrounding communities a premier activity, cultural, and sports venue.
Constructed in 1972, The Art Wood building, now houses faculty offices, classrooms, and shops for the automotive technology program.
The Crighton building was added in 1972 and an addition was built in 1993. The Crighton building houses faculty offices, classrooms, laboratories, for
the Transportation Technology program and also houses Adult Education.
The Western Star Career and Technology Center (CTE) opened in 2011. It houses faculty offices, classrooms, meeting space, and laboratory space for the petroleum, information technology, business and welding programs.
Frontier Hall is the premier residence hall on campus. It was completed in Fall of 2011 and is a 170-bed co-ed residence hall for students up to age 25. Additionally, 8-bed residence hall for students over the age of 25 and two four-plex apartment buildings for family housing are located to the south of Frontier Hall. Two outdoor tennis/basketball courts are located just to the south of Frontier.
The Science Center opened in Fall 2012 with four state-of-the-art science labs (chemistry, biology, anatomy, physics), faculty offices and a student lounge with a spectacular view of Phil Rabon field. Rabon field was built in 2003 and is home to Teton Baseball.
The world-class 250,000+ square foot community rec center, The ARC opened in Spring 2014 with indoor walking/running tracks, turf field, golf simulator, tennis courts, batting cages, cardio/weight lifting areas and 50m Olympic-size pool, teaching pool, water park, & lazy river.
A renovation in 2015 brought a much-needed upgrade to Stevens Hall. Andrea's (bookstore), Teton Grill, classrooms, facilities and offices were completely renovated.