- Williston State College Home
- Academic Pathways
- Business Technology
- Information Technology (AAS)
Information Technology (AAS)
Required program credits: 27 [plus required option credits]
Minimum required credits for AAS: 62
This program prepares students to support business information operations by using computer equipment to enter, process, and retrieve data for a wide variety of administrative purposes. Instructional components include oral, written, and electronic communications; using basic software and hardware; computer operating systems; basic programming; desktop publishing; creating and editing spreadsheets; creating and maintaining databases; document formatting; personnel and office management techniques; and cooperative work experience.
The student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate computer network installation, maintenance, and repair skills.
2. Design, install, and troubleshoot a Local Area Network (LAN).
3. Describe the fundamentals of Wide Area Networking (WAN).
4. Apply knowledge and interact with Windows server technologies to manage users, active directory, network infrastructure configuration, and server applications.
5. Demonstrate a knowledge of computer network security concepts and techniques.
6. Demonstrate a knowledge of basic project management concepts and management tools.
7. Perform fundamental desktop management skills using a Linux based operating system.
8. Demonstrate a knowledge of wireless LAN.
9. Troubleshoot and repair computer hardware and software problems.
CIS 128 | Microcomputer Hardware I (3 credits)
CIS 129 | Microcomputer Hardware II (3 credits)
CIS 164 | Networking Fundamentals I (3 credits)
CIS 165 | Networking Fundamentals II (3 credits)
CIS 215 Implementing MS Windows Server (3 credits)
CIS 220 | Operating System -UNIX (3 credits)
CIS 267 | Intermediate Networking I (3 credits)
CIS 268 | Intermediate Networking II (3 credits)
CIS 280 | Network Security (3 credits)
COOP | Cooperative Education/Internship (0.5 credits)
CSCI | Programming Course
*In addition to the above program specific requirements, please see the general graduation requirements for CTE programs.
Funded by U.S. Department of Labor grant #TC-26460-14-60-A-38*