Share This

Counseling Services

Williston State College has a counselor on campus that is available for free to students currently enrolled. Personal counseling services will provide confidential consultation, brief short term intervention, and referrals. Counseling sessions are kept in strict confidence within legal and ethical limits. No information about you will be released outside of the Counseling Office without your permission. Permission is given by signing a Release of Information document.
There are exceptions to confidentiality which include:

  • The counselor determines you are at risk to harm yourself or someone else
  • There is suspected or actual abuse or neglect of a child, an elderly, or disabled person.
  • There is a medical emergency.
  • Records are subpoenaed in the court of law.

The goal of Counseling Services is to help students return to their normal functioning as soon as possible. In situations where the issues are more long standing, referrals can be made for services outside of WSC. A typical treatment plan will consist of 1-3 individual sessions, and during the 3rdsession referrals to an outside provider will be coordinated. Crisis situations are treated separately and will take priority. Examples of outside providers include Northwest Human Service Center, private providers in the community, a primary care doctor, or providers in the student's home community.

Some typical difficulties that student's bring to counseling:

  • Excessive anxiety for no apparent reason
  • Prolonged feelings of despair, unhappiness, or hopelessness
  • Withdrawal or lack of interest in daily activities
  • Sudden shifts in mood and/or behavior
  • An unusual amount of irritability or suspicious behavior towards another person
  • Eating or sleeping differently
  • Drinking too much or using/abusing drugs
  • Physical, sexual, emotional abuse by others.
  • Thinking about suicide

How do I make an appointment?

Contact Leah Hoffman, LAC, via telephone or stop by office during office hours.
Leah Hoffman, LAC III
Licensed Addiction Counselor
Master of Arts in Addiction Studies
Phone: 701-774-4212
Stevens Hall - Room 129

Incase of an emergency, call 911