- Williston State College Home
- News & Events
- FFA District Leadership Conference set Sept. 30 at WSC
FFA District Leadership Conference set Sept. 30 at WSC
Monday, September 20th, 2010
Posted by Roxane Molinari
The FFA motto states that "FFA is a national organization that makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agriculture education."
The leadership conference is open to schools in the FFA District 1, which includes Kenmare, Williston, Watford City, New Town, Divide County, Parshall, Powers Lake, Stanley, Tioga and Grenora. Murphy said that almost all of the schools send students for the competition.
Students will participate in various Career Development Events, or CDEs, including:
• Chapter Parliamentary Procedure;
• Greenhand (Freshman) Parliamentary Procedure;
• Job Interview, in which the participants will go through all aspects of a job search from filling out an application, submitting a cover letter and resume, and sitting through a job interview;
• Creed Speaking;
• Extemporaneous Public Speaking;
• Prepared Public Speaking; and
• The Chapter and Freshman Quiz Contests.
"These are leadership contests, with leadership development as the main goal of the event," Murphy explained.
An awards ceremony, which will begin as soon as competition is over and scores are tallied, around 2 p.m., will be the final event of the day.
Murphy emphasizes that there are numerous volunteers from the college and the communities involved, as well as state FFA officers and advisors, who all work together to make this day possible. "We also have judges who travel many miles to help with this event. And the WSC Ag/Post-Secondary Agriculture Students Club pitches in as well," she said. "Without them, this event would never happen."